"We are rich only through what we give, and poor only through what we refuse."

Anne-Sophie Swetchine

Thursday, October 20, 2011

Ladybugs: Signs of Good Luck

For the last two weeks, I've been relocating ladybugs that have found their way into my home and gingerly transported them back to the great outdoors. I haven't really noticed them until this fall. Do they come out in volumes in the fall? Are they taking vacay in my warm house? They are certainly welcome to visit!

I know that in many cultures, ladybugs are a sign of good luck and prosperity. Ladybugs free you from your day to day problems.

The scientific name for a ladybug is Coccinellidae. Apparently the dots on the back of a ladybug signify how old the lady is....wow....didn't know that!

Ginger
Nope, not talking about Prince Harry or the moviestar from Gilligan's Island (p.s. one of the best shows e-va!) It's about the plant. The rhizome that I adore. Every year, I'm trying something new and this year it's growing Gin-Ga! Ginger ginger!

I started to grow ginger as my new fall project. It was something I read about and curious to see if it was possible.  They said it would take 10 months! Lo and behold, it's only been a few weeks and I have sprouts!                   http://www.tropicalpermaculture.com/growing-ginger.html

Everyone at work is thinking about the flu shot....this is the first year I'm thinking no flu shot and sticking to some natural remedies. Ginger has antiseptic qualities and are known to provide an immunity and natural protection.

I'm still not sure how I will 'harvest' the plant or just let it grow grow grow!

Mmmmm.....what next? Ginger ale?

Well, I'm working on a avocado pod....I'll let you know how that works out.

I just luv this song!


No comments:

Post a Comment