"We are rich only through what we give, and poor only through what we refuse."

Anne-Sophie Swetchine

Saturday, April 16, 2011

The Life of Inanimate Objects


I don't usually get attached to things, especially inanimate objects. However, I do take very very good care of my things and maybe by doing so I breathe some 'life' into things.

When I sold my first car after 13 years, I remembered turning around as I was walking away and asked the guy who was buying it if he had a garage to keep it in. He smiled and said 'yes, I'll take good care of it, you sure did.' It was just reassuring to know it was going to a good home and was in good hands.

I think that was the first time that I thought about inanimate objects and the 'lives' they lead after me. I know it's really nothing, nothing with feelings, thoughts or connections, but I can't help but wonder about the 'karma' and life it has beyond.

Eye Land
I've sold three cameras recently, the first one to a bartender. I laughed when he said he wanted to negotiate a lower price and pay me in beers at the bar. He was interesting young man full of ambition and energy. He was about to celebrate his 25th birthday and wanted a camera to capture the milestone. I had that camera for over 8 years and it has recorded a few milestones for me as well as experiences from traveling.

I sold the video camera to a woman who was traveling to Winnipeg in a week to visit her ailing brother. She said he was dying from cancer and wanted to get a video camera to record some memories of him. I felt sad for her and her plight ahead.

The Nikon SLR (I had for over 20 years) was just sold to a fashion week photographer a couple of days ago. It was interesting to know that camera would be used and appreciated in another life in another role and yes, maybe traveling around the world. I'm sure each lens will capture more images and memories with it's new owners. I'm happy to let go of these things that have been a part of my life.

In a course I was teaching this week, a guy talked about how difficult it was for him to let go of the past and how he hangs on to everything and felt stuck. I spoke about how we need to evaluate what 'things' are valuable in our lives and to make sure you take time to include them in your life. Let go of some things that don't matter, but things that are important, keep them close.




http://www.mymodernmet.com/profiles/blogs/if-inanimate-objects-could

No comments:

Post a Comment